The Victoria University of Manchester (VUM) merged with the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) in 2004 to form The University of Manchester. The two former Departments of Mathematics joined together to form the School of Mathematics. In 2007 the School moved into a new building at the heart of the campus: the Alan Turing Building. The School is one of the largest integrated schools of mathematics in the UK, with around 75 permanent lecturing staff and over 1000 undergraduates.
As the School moves ahead it is important to keep an eye on the past, and to maintain valuable historical information about the predecessor departments. I know from emails I receive and contact with alumni (most recently at a reception in London last summer) that former students and staff like to look at photos and documents relating to their time here.
I have previously made available various documents and photos concerning the VUM Mathematics Tower on Oxford Road.
Now I have scanned five documents that provided information for prospective and current VUM mathematics undergraduates.
- A ring-bound 16-page A4 booklet titled Mathematics at Manchester: A Guide to the Department of Mathematics for Students and Prospective Students. It is thought to be dated 1973.
- A stapled, glossy 18-page A4 booklet titled Mathematics at Manchester: A Handbook for Students in the Department of Mathematics. It is thought to be dated 1974. The lecturers in the photos on pages 10 and 12 are Will McLewin and Christopher Baker, respectively.
- A stapled colour 16-page A5 booklet titled Mathematics at Manchester University: A Handbook for Students in the Department of Mathematics. It is thought to be dated 1978.
- A colour A4 folder titled Mathematics at Manchester University: A Guide for Prospective Undergraduates. It is thought to be have been used 1985–1992. The lecturer in the photo on the last page, bottom left, is Nige Ray.
- A stapled, 12-page A5 booklet titled Courses in Mathematics at Manchester University: Information for Applicaants Seeking Admission in 1989.